Here at Brookfield, we encourage and celebrate the children's participation in extra-curricular activities. The impact of these activities is proven to be positive which is why we have partnered with Children's University to create a level playing field of opportunity and opening up access to children of all backgrounds.
The need for Children’s University
By the time a child turns 18, they will have spent just 9% of their waking life in a classroom. Children’s University is about making the most of the remaining 91%.
Research shows that participation in extra-curricular activities can positively impact on attainment, increase a pupil’s positive identification with school, and build self-confidence and resilience. Research also shows that children that do not have access to these opportunities fall behind, lack confidence, and fail to develop career aspirations. The resulting attainment gap is so significant that 25% of children from the most disadvantaged backgrounds achieve below expected attainment levels.
Key outcomes we want for every child
For every child that takes part in Children’s University, we want the following outcomes:
- They feel they have grown in confidence and self-belief
- They have enjoyed new experiences, in new places and want to keep exploring
- They believe they have a broader range of essential skills
- They feel empowered to make positive choices about their future
- They see learning that is fun, aspirational and lifelong
- They feel their eyes have been opened to a multiplicity of learning activities and opportunities
- They feel celebrated for their commitment to learning by their family, school and community
Children who participate in Children’s University have the opportunity to learn in a rich range of contexts, experience new places, visit universities and attend their own graduation ceremonies. This adventure introduces children to the joy of learning, brings a sense of wonder in the world around them and develops their confidence and aspirations for the brightest futures.