Design and Technology
Design and Technology Intent Statement
Design and technology is an inspiring and practical subject. It encourages children to learn to think and intervene creatively to solve problems. At Brookfield Primary School, we encourage children to use their creativity and imagination, to design, make and evaluate products that solve real and relevant problems within a variety of contexts, considering their own and others’ needs, wants and values. We aim to, wherever logical attempts can be made, link work to other disciplines such as mathematics, science, computing and art. Children are also given opportunities to reflect upon and evaluate past and present design technology, its uses and its effectiveness and are encouraged to become innovators and risk-takers.
this enables them to become resourceful, innovative, enterprising and capable citizens. Through the evaluation of past and present design and technology, they develop a critical understanding of its impact on daily life and the wider world.
Through a variety of creative and practical activities, we teach the knowledge, understanding and skills needed to engage in an iterative process of designing and making. The children design and create products that make them consider their function and purpose - and which are relevant to a range of sectors. Our curriculum is based on the Kapow scheme of work. This enables us to show clear progression of skills in all Key Stages - these can be seen clearly in our progression documentation. Each design and technology unit of work follows the expectations of the National Curriculum and follow the systematic order of:
Ensuring that children also use a range of Technical knowledge.
The context for the children’s work in design and technology is varied and children learn about real life structures and products and their purposes, as well as developing their skills throughout the programme of study and allowing them to use metacognition skills to express their thoughts and feeling throughout their journey.
In design and technology at Brookfield, we ensure that progress is made by:
- Developing within them, the creative, technical and practical expertise needed to perform everyday tasks confidently and to participate successfully in an increasingly technological world.
- Encouraging them to apply a repertoire of knowledge, understanding and skills in order to design and make high-quality prototypes and products for a wide range of users.
- Allowing them to critique, evaluate and test their ideas and products and the work of others including self reflection and annotation in books.
- Understand and apply the principles of nutrition and learn how to cook. Children will design and make a range of products. A good quality finished product will be expected in all design and activities made appropriate to the age and ability of the child.
- Our curriculum assess children's knowledge using end of unit quizzes and live marking and feedback within lessons.